Exhaustion, frustration and anxiety are part of working life. All of us face tough time during our life where we feel helpless, disillusioned and emotionally drained. This condition could be termed as stress but there is a thin dividing line between stress and burnout.
What is Burnout
According to WHO :
“Burn-out is a syndrome conceptualized as resulting from chronic workplace stress that has not been successfully managed. It is characterized by three dimensions:
- feelings of energy depletion or exhaustion;
increased mental distance from one’s job, or feelings of negativism or cynicism related to one's job; and
reduced professional efficacy.
So to say, Burnout is physical , mental and emotional exhaustion caused by prolonged stress.
Symptoms of Burnout
- Detachment - Feeling alone in the world.
- Increased anger - Frustration on others.
- Loss of motivation and increased negative outlook towards everything.
- Increased sense of failure and self-doubt , decreased sense of accomplishment.
- Running away from responsibilities.
- Lowered immunity, frequent illness, feeling drained most of time.
- wasting time on unnecessary things like scrolling web pages , social media.
How to combat and conquer Burnout
- Connect with people.
- Plan and structure your day.
- Eat healthy , exercise regularly.
- Change your outlook towards people, events and circumstances.
- Do what you love.
- Take breaks.
That's it for now!